Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Tour of Texas Lakes

This is my third post of the day.  In a previous post I mentioned hurting my arm while throwing the boys into the water of the lake/pool.  This post builds on that memory by taking you, faithful reader, through the last week with my sons and I as we toured the aquatic wonders of the Lonestar State.
(A fourth and final post should be forthcoming, with my meditation on the close of summer.)

Lake 1: Grapevine
This was not actually a part of the scheduled tour, but it is one of our most frequented and favorite lakes in Texas.  This shot shows Brennan dragging me by my now injured arm.  But really, it's more a picture of the fun we had at the lake that day, as we so often do at this beloved spot.  

Lake 2: Eagle Mountain
Another short trip away, we struggled to find a public access point for Eagle Mountain Lake.  Once we found this park, though, we were on our way.  (Next to Aydan is Nick, a friend staying with us for the week while his parents are out of town.  Next to Brennan is his best friend Justen.)

The lake was about a mile hike from the entrance to the park.  It was a beautiful trail, and we had it all to ourselves.  Even better, it was overcast, so it wasn't mercilessly hot.

 Within our first ten minutes of arrival, Nick caught a sizable bass.  Aydan handled the dirty work of unhooking it, since Nick doesn't like to touch the fish.



 Lake 3: Texoma
 Two hours north, on the Oklahoma border, is Lake Texoma.  It is known for its excellent striped bass fishing.  This destination was entirely the brainchild of the boys, as was the pontoon boat we rented (with the financial backing of money saved from their allowance).
 I am not a fisherman at all, but I did enough research to know that we needed live shad or shiners to have a chance of catching a bass.  Even with this bait we were unsuccessful.  Still, the boys had a great time.  Their favorite activity was to jump off the boat while running at top speed.



Lake 4: Whitney

Two hours to the south is Lake Whitney.  We went there with one purpose in mind: to jump off the cliffs.  The lake was created by the Army Corps of Engineers, and therefore has dramatic drop-offs into substantial depths.  In the picture you see, the kids jump from approximately 20 feet up into water that is 80 feet deep.  I could post more pictures, but it was pretty much more of the same for hour after hour.  It was a blast, and perhaps my favorite trip.



But how can you have a favorite when you get to enjoy so much beauty and fun with your favorite people in the world?  I love my boys, and we had a great time.  It was the perfect end to a very enjoyable summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment