Sunday, July 8, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again


There are nice things that come with having the boys gone for a week: the house stays quiet and clean, I can paint all day every day from sunrise to sunset, it's easy to run errands and check items off the to-do list.  

...but I sure do miss them.  

That's why every(-other) Sunday is such a treat for me.  It's all hugs and smiles when I first see them again.  And then, before too long, wackiness is bound to ensue.  

Today on the ride over from Heather's house they spotted a dead squirrel lying in the middle of the road.  It has been some time since we worked on a skull together (butterflies have kind of taken over our "let's mess with dead animals" time), but they convinced me (despite my protests) that the skull will be intact and that we should take the squirrel home.  I will say he is in remarkably good condition (as you can see from the picture), but the odds are good that auto-related head trauma is what caused his demise, so I'm not getting too excited that it will turn out perfectly.  The good news, however, is that with it being as hot as it is, his little body should be stripped clean away by the bugs in a matter of a few days.  Should we come out of the ordeal with a whole, clean squirrel skull you, faithful reader, will be the first to know.  

1 comment: