Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Death of Boyhood

We told our boys today that we are getting a divorce.  They cried.  I held it together until they walked outside, but then I went into my closet and wept bitterly.  I was overcome with sorrow that their tiny hearts had been broken, and one of the most central assumptions of their boyhood had been destroyed.

After I got it together, I went outside and held each one of them, telling them, "It will be okay" as I hugged them.  Aydan's response floored me.
"No it won't, Dad.  You're making the worst decision of your life.  Mom is a great woman.  What happened to all the breakfasts in bed, the snuggling, the forts, the swimming at the lake?"

He walked away and I was crushed.  What could I say?  Should I have corrected him, telling him that it was his mother's mistake, not mine?  He is too young for all the details that led us to this point.  So I watched him walk away, and I prayed with all my heart that I had not just lost my son.  I prayed that he wouldn't harbor bitterness against either of us, and I prayed that the wound he was feeling would slowly heal.  And I mourned silently for the passing of everything his happy boyhood contained and his acute feeling of loss that it was all over.

2 comments:

  1. Man. That sounds extremely heavy. Unimaginable, really. My heart aches for all of you... But looking through the eyes of one who was a brother first, uncle second, I have to say that it sounds like it was especially brutal for you. I don't really know what to say, except that I love you. I'm praying for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that I can't be there to talk with you and hold you and support you more. May the peace of God be with you.
    DA

    ReplyDelete