Friday, December 23, 2011

Girls Basketball

I've never coached boys basketball (though that is about to change when I begin coaching aydan's 6th grade team this year), but I did play in high school and college so I'm at least slightly familiar with that realm. Coaching girls has been an eye-opening experience, though. So today I will share with you the main differeneces between the two sides of this one sport.  

1) Blankets
Maybe this is a North v. South distinction here, but no guy on my team EVER brought/wore a blanket to a game. In Ohio where the season was always cold and the first few minutes on the bus could literally be freezing, we dressed warm and in layers. In Texas, people don't know how to dress against the cold, but even still a boys basketball player's response is either baggy sweats or the shorts-and-suck-it-up method. But girls? Fuzzy blankeys...with tassels. And I'm not even getting into pillow pets, over-sized slippers, etc. It's weird. 

2) Smell
This one is harder to communicate in text, so I will parenthetically give the expression. Perhaps the primary difference is noted when walks into the locker rooms of the two genders. 
Boys--"Do you smell that?" (Face scrunched, groan in the voice, feelings of disgusted revulsion)
Girls--"Do you smell that?" (Sigh of contentment and delight, feelings of refreshment)
Guys locker rooms smell like butthole. Girls locker rooms smell like a Bath and Body Works franchise. Huge difference. 

3) Giggling on the court
I'm not joking--girls literally giggle while playing. Guys are just more competitive and mean. 

4) Singing on the Bus
I do remember once singing "We Didn't Start the Fire" on a return trip from a game, but it was in Coach Harrison's car with 4 other guys, not the whole team. Besides, I guess I'm not really a typical guy in that sense. Typical guys MIGHT sing after a particularly big win if they are in unusually high spirits. But girls sing to and from, win or lose. 


I am very fortunate to coach these girls.  We are having a great season and they are awesome young ladies to work with.  Go Chargers!

No comments:

Post a Comment