Sunday, November 27, 2011

Always

"The best mirror is a friend's eye"
-Irish Proverb

While our children played recently, my friend Brandi saw me yawn and told me I am always tired.  This is true.  By the end of the conversation, we had joked about several other things I am "always".  The list ended with:
1) Tired
2) Sore
3) Eating
Obviously, I see--from her perspective--that this transformation program I have undertaken has pretty much taken over my life.  It is a thought that has occurred to me before (and I think I've written about it).  I have desires to be a monk, a philosopher, a musician, an artist, a bodybuilder...., but to excel in any ONE of these pursuits would take single-minded focus.  That's why they're often all left behind in favor of "father" or "teacher."  Still I enjoy having elements of each of them in my life, and I'm thankful to have had this time to focus on the physical aspect of who I am.
Speaking of thankfulness, this episode reminds me just how thankful I am for my friends and family who are keeping up with me and helping me stay on track.  I guess this now serves as my Thanksgiving post as well.  Here's to enjoying the holiday season in a new way this year!

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps instead of "A man on a mission" it should read "A man on many missions." I think all too many of us can identify with the latter. Ironically, that sharpens our focus on trying to determine, "What is the best prioritizing of my many missions?"

    Hang in there.

    DA

    ReplyDelete