Wednesday, September 21, 2011

You Named Your Blog What?

I'm always on the lookout for a good band name.  Keep in mind that I do not have a band.  But when a good name strikes I find it's always best to tuck it away for later.  You never know when you'll meet a drummer and a bassist, right?  
When I lived at BGSU, "Apartment 11" (our address) seemed like a great band name.  Looking back, it may not be as cool as I thought then.  I am very confident that in no time at all I will think the current title of my blog to be lame, but for now I think it's interesting.  Let me tell you why.  

First of all, Kid Icarus was one of the first home video games I ever played.  It was at Sam Powers house.  We pronounced it "Kid e-CAR-iss" or "kitty CAR-us."  But none of that really has anything to do with why I chose the name.  

It all has to do with the myth.  In Greek mythology, Icarus--with the help of his genius father, the inventor Daedelus--escapes an island prison.  Everyone remembers what happens in the end: his wings, made of wax and feathers, fall apart and he crashes into the sea and dies.  Sad story.  
But the Greeks used this story to teach a message.  In an often forgotten portion of the story, Daedelus also warns his son not to fly too low.  The sun might melt his wings, but the waves might grab him if he drops too far in altitude.  
This story illustrates the idea of the Greek virtue sophrosyne.  We have no modern equivalent, but familiar Greek phrases like "Everything in moderation" are statements about sophrosyne.  It is the notion of balance or perfect equilibrium.  As I understand it, it's a bit like Aristotle's golden mean from Nicomachen Ethics.  It's the most beneficial and good position between two extremes.  For example, between cowardice and wrathful vengeance is defending the right and the just.  
The opposite of this virtue is hubris.  We have heard this terms used a bit more widely.  Hubris is excessive pride.  As Scripture says, "Pride leads to a fall."  

If you have ever read my former blog, Hopelessly Uncool, you will understand that I lean toward hubris, rather than sophrosyne.  In fact, the title of that blog really was sort of tongue in cheek; saying I wasn't cool but really thinking I sort of was for coming up with such a great title for a blog.  Uncool is my cool. As my friend Taylor says, "It's thought out.  You may wear weird clothes, but you do it in such a way that it's interesting and you pull it off."  

So in trying to think of a new title, I wanted something that would capture not just the current state of my life, but would also indicate some of the major themes of my life.  I have always dreamed of flying.  Literally.  I wanted to be Superman.  But I also want to soar figuratively; to achieve dizzying heights in my life.  In my hubris I have thought that I must be bound for greatness or to do great things.  And in thinking this, I have often caused my own destruction.  To quote Brave Saint Saturn: 
"Did you see me falling down from heaven
trailing wings of melted wax?"
Thankfully I have avoided the extreme of despair, and the waves have not pulled me under.  But that is hardly a virtue, especially if every other day I attempt to climb too high and scorch a new pair of wings.  
But for this I will always glorify God and thank him for his grace: He has always kept me from plunging into the depths, and he has always allowed me "to soar on wings like eagles" again.  "What matter wounds to a knight errant?  For each time he falls he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!"  "If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand" (Psalm 37:23-24).  I may have crashed and burned in my life, and I'm sure huge disasters and fiascos are still to come, but I am grateful to God that he has preserved my life and has given me the strength to pick up the pieces and try again.

So here's to a new blog and new things. 
Here's to flying high on borrowed wings.
In soaring with Christ there is no "too high."
I'll follow past sun, and clouds and sky.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you blogging here, Hieronymous. What are your feelings about linking to this site from my site? I don't know if the blogging switch was intentionally to knock you "off the grid" a bit, or what -- so let me know.

    And for whatever it's worth, I love the blog's name. Beautiful, memorable, and poignant.

    ReplyDelete